MRPG Spell List also old
Huh boy does this page need to be overhauled The other old, unfinished spell list
With the exception of the Exo-mage proficiencies, each magical proficiency has its own unique spell list.
Spells learned automatically as the player levels are graduated and fall into two progressions: the Additive and the Subtractive. Additive spells are typically offensive and damage-dealing, while subtractive are about support and protection. There are exceptions to this rule, as healing is part of the Additive progression while some damaging Dark spells are subtractive.
The spell list is currently undergoing major re-tooling. The basic idea is to get rid of most of that "tree" bullshit.
The new plan is to make 3 spell lists: Additive, Subtractive, and Learned. Each spell will then have a sub school depending on proficiency.
Spells work like so:
- Spell Name |Casting Type|Cost
- Proficiency |Minimum Proficiency Level| Description/Effect
Certain spells may be listed with multiple proficiencies, this means that they can be cast by anyone posessing the minimum level in just 1 proficiency, and will have the same effect.
Mage Wars PnP: some spells will include special additions, conditions, or addendums for the Mage Wars PnP game.
- 1 Master Spell List
- 1.1 Additive List
- 1.2 Subtractive List
- 1.3 Learned List
- 2 Key Terms
- 3 See Also:
Master Spell List
The first gained spells do not occur until level 3. Additive spells are typically damage-dealing and offensive.
(Character Level 3)
- Percussive Force: | Fast Cast | 10
- Light |1| Deals 1d6 +2 per level Positive Damage
- Mind Crush | Slow Cast | 40
- Mind |14| Inflicts 1d10 + 1d10 per rank Intelligence Penalty
- Barbaric Destroyer's Curse of Charisma | Slow Cast | 10
- Dark |9| A single target is infused with self assurance and a surreal self-image, causing him to become clumpsy and over-confident. The target takes 10 + 1 per caster level penalty to AV and 1d10 + 3 per caster rank penalty to Will.
- Shallow Grave | Fast Cast | 15
- Life Returns an undead target to the 'dead' state(effectively removing the 'un'). There is no damage calculation, if the target fails to resist and fails to evade they are simply destroyed.
(Character Level 6)
- Circle of Binding | Fast Cast | 40
For all versions, the effect is the same: the target is held, motionless, for 9 per rank +1 per level seconds. A resistance of check of (Resistance + 1d6 per rank) against the caster's own resistance determines the effectiveness of the spell. Which version of the spell you use determines the resistance-check:
- Light: Fire
- Dark: Negative
- Mind: Positive
- Life: Water
- Death: Mortal
- Change: Wind
- Tunic of Iron-Weave | Weave | 40
Enchants the caster's robes so that they become like a suit of armor. For the purposes of this spell, the caster uses their magic proficiency in place of armor proficiency and gains the appropriate VAV dice. The armor-type depends of the proficiency used:
- Light: Plate
- Dark: Plate
- Mind: Chain
- Life: Chain
- Death: Leather
- Change: Leather
*Note: This spell does not supersede or augment existing armor. If cast on a character wearing armor it has no effect. If cast on a character without the appropriate magical proficiency, they are treated as having no armor proficiency.
- Acid Arrow | Fast Cast | 10
- Dark: Deals 2d6 points of Negative damage.
- Mind: Deals 2d6 points of Positive damage.
(Character Level 9)
- Greater Circle of Binding | Fast Cast | 60
Works just like Circle of Binding except the caster gains a +10 to all resistances for the purpose of the resistance-check and the duration is increased by 8 seconds per rank.
- Finger of God | Fast Cast | 25
- Death: This spell will attempt to kill any living enemy(undead and mystical are excluded). If the target fails to Resist or Evade the spell, they automatically roll 1d20 and must reach higher than 15 or die.
(Character Level 12)
- Reaping of Pawns: | Fast Cast | 45
- Dark: Sends out a wave of darkness that attempts to envelop and kill any Mortal-type enemies. The wave is ten feet wide and extends for 25 feet ahead of the mage. There is no damage, if the targets fail to resist and fail to evade, they die. Affects only Mortal-type enemies.
- Mind: Forces the enemy to see multiple copies of the caster, confusing them and making it difficult to tell which is the real target.
(Character Level 15)
- Feast of Gluttons | Fast Cast | 70
- Dark: A wave of darkness radiates outward from the mage and attempts to envelop and kill all that it touches. The wave impacts everything within a 25-foot radius of the mage and affects only mortal enemies. There is no damage effect, if the target fails to resist or evade, they die.
- Change: Transforms the enemy temporarily into a pig. Every three seconds the target may attempt to flourish and free themselves from the enchantment.
(Character Level 18)
- Healing Spell
- Faustian Bargain: give up half your HP to deal some substantial amount of untyped-damage on the target, based on how much HP you give up.
- Ritual Sacrifice: target one friendly player-character, they must lay down on the ground in order for this spell to work. You will ritualistically sacrifice them(this does not actually harm the character) and cause a wave of anti-life force to brust out around them, damaging all unfriendly targets.
(Character Level 21)
- Healing Spell
- Send Away: spell that attempts to just send a single target out of existence. Similar mechanics to the Death spell.
(Character Level 23)
- Healing Spell
- Darkness Explode: basically just deals a crapton of Negative-typed damage in an AOE-ark.
- Send Away, Mass: see Send Away.
Subtractive spells are typically defensive and healing. Unlike Additive, some subtractive spells are known at game start:
(Character Level 0)
- Cleansing Ember | Slow Cast | 10
- Life: Restores 1d6 per level HP
- Death: Deals 1d4 fire damage to all enemies of evil intent.
- Change: Removes Blindness
- Mind: Removes the Blithesome effect
- Lesser Divination | Fast Cast | 10
- Mind: Has a 50% chance to expose any hidden doors within sight of the caster. Pitfalls count as hidden doors.
- Mind Armor Weave | 5 minutes | 10
- Light: Provides a 10% bonus to Positive Resistance
- Dark: Provides a 10% bonus to Negative Resistance
- Mind: Provides a 10% bonus to Greater Path resistance
- Armor of Change, Level I | Weave | 5
- Change: Adds your proficiency in Change to AC.
- Dark Magic Ritual, Level I | Weave | 5
- Dark: Add +5 to your Magic Proficiency: Dark
- Mind: Add +5 to your Magic Proficiency: Mind
- Death: Add +5 to your Magic Proficiency: Death
- Change: Add +5 to your Magic Proficiency: Change
(Character Level 5)
- Life Restored, Level I | Slow Cast | 100
- Life: Restores a fallen ally to life with 1 HP and 0 MP.
- Cleansing Fire | Slow Cast | 25
- Life: Restores 3d6 per level HP
- Death: Deals 2d4 fire damage to all enemies of evil intent.
- Change: Removes Blindness
- Mind: Removes the Blithesome and Inept effects
- Armor of Wind, Level I | Weave | 20
- Light: Bathes the target in searing light, granting a 10% reduction to Mortal Damage
- Mind: Creates a contorting envelope around the target, turning arrows and other projectiles away, and causing a 10% chance from ranged weapons.
- Shadow | Weave | 35
- Light: You gain the ability to see the hidden, creatures may no longer hid in the darkness befor your eyes.
- Dark: You become clocked in shadows and gain a 50% chance to be ignored/not noticed
- Mind: You appear less imposing, less threatening. In battle, enemies are less likely to attack you if another, stronger target presents itself.
- Buff-spells for positive and negative resistance go here
- Empty Hand: buff spell that causes the enemy to perceive you as not holding a main-handed weapon. This essentially reduces threat.
- Underworld Swarming: I'm thinking low-level dark spell that makes you think you're covered in bugs and causes an effect?
- Dark Magic Ritual, Level II | Weave | 10
- Dark: Add +10 to your Magic Proficiency: Dark
- Mind: Add +10 to your Magic Proficiency: Mind
- Death: Add +10 to your Magic Proficiency: Death
- Change: Add +10 to your Magic Proficiency: Change
(Character Level 10)
- Life Restored, Level II | Slow Cast | 150
- Life: Restores a fallen ally to life with 30% HP and 30% MP.
- Cloak of Invisibility | Weave | 50
- Dark: You become invisible, unable to be seen.
- Change: Weave spells cannot be dispelled from about you.
- Armor of Change, Level II | Weave | 5
- Change: Adds your proficiency in Change x Buffed Strength Modifier to AC. This does not stack with Level I.
- Armor of Wind, Level II | Weave | 30
- Light: Bathes the target in searing light, granting a 20% reduction to Mortal Damage
- Mind: Creates a contorting envelope around the target, turning arrows and other projectiles away, and causing a 30% chance from ranged weapons.
- Empty Hands: same as Empty Hand but makes them see you not holding anything at all, so covers off-hand, dual-wielding, and 2-handers.
- Dark Magic Ritual, Level III | Weave | 15
- Dark: Add +15 to your Magic Proficiency: Dark
- Mind: Add +15 to your Magic Proficiency: Mind
- Death: Add +15 to your Magic Proficiency: Death
- Change: Add +15 to your Magic Proficiency: Change
(Character Level 15)
- Armor of Wind, Level III | Weave | 30
- Light: Bathes the target in searing light, granting a 25% reduction to Mortal Damage
- Mind: Creates a contorting envelope around the target, turning arrows and other projectiles away, and causing a 50% chance from ranged weapons.
- Cleansing Inferno
- Four Hands: | Weave | 10
- Mind: Doubles the amount of threat the target generates from held items.
- See the Hidden: | Weave | 10
- Mind: Allows you automatically find things like hidden doors, trigger plates, etc.
- Dark Magic Ritual, Level IV | Weave | 20
- Dark: Add +20 to your Magic Proficiency: Dark
- Mind: Add +20 to your Magic Proficiency: Mind
- Death: Add +20 to your Magic Proficiency: Death
- Change: Add +20 to your Magic Proficiency: Change
(Character Level 20)
- Armor of Darkness
- Armor of Light
- Ritual Breaker: AOE spell distrupts all slow-cast spells currently in progress.
- Ritual of Rejuvenation: some... thing.
- Dark Magic Ritual, Level V | Weave | 25
- Dark: Add +25 to your Magic Proficiency: Dark
- Mind: Add +25 to your Magic Proficiency: Mind
- Death: Add +25 to your Magic Proficiency: Death
- Change: Add +25 to your Magic Proficiency: Change
- Fireball: can be learned from a scroll early on, widely considered the easiest spell available. Can also be cast with any school of magic. Damage is Level + 1d6 + 2d6 per rank. Fireball also has restrictions and gains new abilities as the character levels.
- Rank 0: Fireball cannot be cast while any weapon or item is equipped
- Dark Magic Attack: a high-level dark spell that deals damage around multiple sources, designed to bypass different forms of resistance.
- Complex spell that opens two portals to a plain of fire and a plain of water and this somehow produces a mighty thunderclap that knocks everyone down within a given area. Higher-level versions will also add some Mortal damage.
- Death: just about exactly what the name implies. The caster will attempt to slay a target with a single word. This spell does not follow typical rules as it is not damage-dealing. Instead, if it passes the resistance-check, the player will then make a role of 1d20-per-rank + buffed-proficiency against the target. If the player roles a higher score, the target is instantly killed. The rules for this spell might change later.
- Mass Grave: similar to the Death spell but targets everything within the immediate area. The spell does not effect party members or friendly NPCs, but the player may not exclude any targets. Mage Wars PnP: this spell effects everyone within the radius, the caster may exclude up to 6 targets.
- Ultimate Offering: allows you to exchange life-points for mana-points(at a loss). Maybe variable levels of this spell to determine how much gets traded and at what cost?
- Ancient Magi Spiral Attack | Slow Cast | 250
- Creates a swirling vortex unaligned energy, drawing power from every school of magic ever concieved. This spell will instantly destroy a single target, rending their flesh and destroying their very atoms so that only pure energy is released. Can affect ANY target. Very slow cast, requires 2 minutes to complete, during which time ANY disruption is considered an interrupt(this includes moving). No Resistance-Check, cannot be evaded, no damage-reduction(this counts as an effect-kill).
- Caster Level: refers to the player's actual level
- Rank: refers to the player's Rank.
- Progression: refers to the spell's level(E.G. First Progression spells are available at start, Second Progression at Levels 3/5 respectively, etc)